Legal and privacy
At Cathay Pacific and Cathay Dragon, we are committed to protecting your personal and data privacy. To ensure that you can make informed decisions and feel confident about supplying your Personal Data (as defined below) to us when using our website, mobile and other services, we provide this notice outlining our practices and the choices you have concerning how your Personal Data is being collected and used by us.
We request information from you in several areas of our website, mobile services and other channels that may be used to personally identify you (“Personal Data”), including but not limited to:
- Your personal information such as your name, gender, date of birth, passport or other personally identifiable number and information about your registered status with any of our subsidiaries, associated companies and/or business associates;
- Your contact information such as your telephone numbers, mailing addresses, email addresses, and fax numbers;
- Your credit or debit card information and billing information, including name of cardholder, card number, billing address and expiry date;
- Your business information such as company name, business title and associated contact information;
- Your travel details such as flight information, travel companions’ personal information, destination contact information, seat and meal preferences, flight and hotel preferences, and information related to traveler special needs;
- Your responses to market surveys and contests conducted by us or on our behalf.
Certain Personal Data (particularly relating to your personal information and contact information) are required for specific services and if you fail to supply such Personal Data as requested from each specific service, we may be unable to deliver you the services in full.
We may use the Personal Data you provided for one or more of the following purposes:
- To process and administer your reservation and/or travel services with or through us;
- To process and administer your reservation and/or use of our freight or shipping services;
- For your use of the online services available at any of our websites and/or through other telecommunication channels;
- For the supply of any products and/or services which we may offer to you or you may require from us from time to time including text message (SMS) alerts;
- For marketing, promotional and customer relationship management purposes, such as sending you updates on latest offers and promotions in connection with our products and services (please see Section 10 - "Notice on Direct Marketing" for details) and conducting market research;
- For identification and verification purposes in connection with any of the services or products that may be supplied to you;
- To contact you regarding your enquiries;
- For our frequent flyer and mileage programme;
- To administer contests and sweepstakes conducted by us or on our behalf;
- To disclose to a third party to comply with any law, legal requirements, orders, directions or requests from any court, authority or government body of any jurisdiction, which may be within or outside of Hong Kong;
- To facilitate the payment for products and services provided by us or our subsidiaries, associated companies and/or business associates including verification of credit card details with third parties and using the Personal Data you provide to conduct matching procedures against databases of known fraudulent transactions (maintained by us or third parties).
- To improve our security, including in relation to the processing of payment by credit card to guard against the risk of fraud including carrying out matching procedures against databases of known fraudulent transactions (maintained by us or third parties).
- To provide other airport and travel related services, such as duty free sales and travel packages.
- To process any baggage or loss claims.
- For the use of any of our subsidiaries, associate companies and/or business associates in connection with any of the above purposes and/or any other travel related and/or loyalty program related services such companies and associates may be offering to you from time to time.
We may from time to time use aggregate non-identifying information about our customers to better design our website and/or to improve our services and products. This means we may provide this information to third parties. However, this information will never identify any single user in particular.
Except as provided below, we will not knowingly or intentionally use or share the Personal Data you provide to use in ways unrelated to the aforementioned purposes without your prior consent.
You may request access to and correct your Personal Data held by us. If you wish to obtain a copy of any of your Personal Data, if you believe that the Personal Data relating to you which we collect and maintain is incorrect, or if you believe that the Personal Data held by us was used beyond the scope of the purpose of use disclosed above or was acquired by fraudulent or unlawful means or provided to a third party without your prior consent, please write to us at the address below.
A request for access or correction to, or deletion of Personal Data or for information regarding policies and practices and kinds of Personal Data held by us must be in writing and sent to us via postal mail at the following addresses for Cathay Pacific and Cathay Dragon respectively:
The Data Protection Officer
Cathay Pacific Airways Limited
6th Floor Cathay Pacific City,
8 Scenic Road,
Hong Kong International Airport, Lantau, Hong Kong
Hong Kong Dragon Airlines Limited
5th Floor Cathay Cathay Dragon House,
11 Tung Fai Road,
Hong Kong International Airport, Lantau, Hong Kong
We may charge a reasonable fee for the processing of any data access request.
Cookies are text files containing small amounts of information, which are downloaded to your computer or mobile device by websites that you visit. They can improve your experience of using a website, for example, by remembering your preference settings and tracking your use of a website so that it can be improved to meet your needs.
We use different types of cookies on the CX Group Sites:
These are temporary cookies that allow us to link the actions of a user during a browser session. A browser session starts when you open the browser window and finishes when you close the browser window. Session cookies are created temporarily. Once you close the browser, all session cookies are deleted.
For example, we use session cookies on the CX Group Sites for the following purposes:
- to allow you to carry information across pages of our respective CX Group Sites and avoid having to re-enter information, such as logging in for every page;
- within registration to allow you to access stored information; and
- during the booking process so that we can remember your selections.
These cookies remain on your device between browsing sessions. They are activated each time you visit the website that created that particular cookie. For example, where a "persistent cookie" is used on a website to remember your log-in details, you will not need to enter those details each time you visit that website.
For example, we use persistent cookies on the CX Group Sites for the following purposes:
- to compile anonymous, aggregated statistics that allow us to understand how users use CX Group Sites, and to help us improve the structure of CX Group Sites. We cannot identify you personally in this way; and
- to store your chosen country homepage destination.
Third Party Cookies
We also have cookies on our websites that are set by third parties to enable you to use their software or applications provided through the CX Group Sites.
For example, we use third party cookies on the CX Group Sites for the following purposes:
- to determine and track website traffic coming in from advertisement banners that have been placed on third parties' websites;
- to track how our websites are being used; and
- to enable you to share offers and information from our websites.
List of major Cookies that are essential for a desirable navigation experience on CX Group Sites
Used to record your country of residence and your preferred language choice.
Used to remember the login ID of Marco Polo Club member when "Remember this no." option is selected during login.
Cookies that will expire at the end of session or after idling for 30 minutes. Used to maintain the transaction with CX Group Site.
List of major Cookies that are set by third-parties on CX Group Sites
Provides site analytics which allows us to understand how visitors are interacting with the site, and to enable us to optimise the site by serving different page versions at once and recording which variant drives more achievement of a specific goal to improve site performance and to create personalized and customized user experiences.
, , , , , , ,
Container tag solution which allows us to manage site analytics and first party marketing tags. Also collect, correlate data and create universal profiles to increase relevance and effectiveness of content delivery.
Advertising / Retargeting cookies
Advertising / Retargeting cookies may be placed on your device by our third party service providers which remember that you have visited a website in order to provide you with targeted adverts which are more relevant to you and to track the referrals that they have generated and any sales resulting from adverts or campaigns. However, we do not tell our advertisers who you are.
, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
Used for the purpose of enabling you to share parts of our website with your contacts via email and social media. Read all about how AddThis, what information they collect, and
Disabling / Enabling Cookies
You have the ability to accept or decline cookies by modifying the settings in your browser. However, you may not be able to use all the interactive features on the CX Group Sites if cookies have been disabled completely.
Unless the cookie is a strictly necessary cookie, you can withdraw your consent to our cookies at any time even if you have previously consented. Although, please do remember that if you do not consent to certain functionality cookies, parts of the CX Group Sites may not work.
You can set your cookie preferences when you arrive at a CX Group Site. You can also change them or opt out at any time – simply visit cookies settings
We may collect information regarding your IP address, browser type, domain name and access time. This information is used for our own research purposes and is separate from any cookies data. We do not link IP addresses to any personal information. In rare instances, IP addresses may be used to assist in deterring and/or preventing abusive or criminal activity on the website.
This website contains links to other sites that are operated by third party companies with different privacy practices. You should remain alert when you leave our site and read the privacy statements of other websites. We have no control over Personal Data that you submit to or receive from these third parties.
To maintain the accuracy of the Personal Data, as well as to prevent unauthorised access and ensure the correct use of Personal Data, we have implemented appropriate physical, technical, and administrative measures to safeguard and secure the Personal Data we collect.
For example, we use Secure Socket Layer (SSL) protocol—an industry standard for encryption over the Internet—to protect in transmission the Personal Data we collect online. When you type in sensitive information such as credit card details, it will be automatically converted into codes before being securely dispatched over the Internet. All electronic Personal Data that we maintain is securely stored and further protected through our use of appropriate access controls. When disposing of Personal Data, paper documents containing Personal Data are securely destroyed, and electronic files storing Personal Data are permanently deleted.
In addition, to better protect certain Personal Data, some areas of the 60yearsnato.info website or our mobile services channels are inaccessible unless you supply individually identifiable and verifiable information, such as your The Marco Polo Club / Asia Miles™ Membership Number and Password, or log in using your User ID and PIN.
As stated above, in some instances we may entrust Personal Data to third party service providers (including service providers outside of your jurisdiction), binding them to protect the security of Personal Data and only to use it for the purposes we specify.
|Recipients of Personal Information||Items of Personal Information Provided||Purpose of Using Personal Information by Recipients||Retention Period by Recipients|
|Hong Kong Dragon Airlines Ltd||Personal information collected under Article 2||For flight booking, ticketing, processing of credit card payment, providing overall travel related services such as e-mailing travel documents (confirmation sheet/flight ticket);
To offer baggage related services;
For frequent flyer and mileage program;
For the use of any of the Company’s subsidiaries, partners in connection with services to be provided to its customers;
|As per Article 12|
|Asia Miles Ltd||Personal information collected under Article 2||To provide frequent flyer and mileage program, etc.;||As per Article 12|
In order to provide you with better service, we entrust the processing of Personal Data to service providers as below:
Ground handling service in Incheon Intl Airport including check-in, reservation and ticketing, providing notice of change, ticket sales, guiding use of lounge by members, assistance in membership subscription and response to queries on mileage service, etc.
Ground handling services in Busan and Jeju Intl Airport including check-in, reservation and ticketing, providing notice of change, assistance in membership subscription and response to queries on mileage service, etc.
CX Holidays Ltd
Booking service for hotel packages, etc.
First Data Korea
Payment transaction for domestic-purchased tickets, etc.
Payment gateway for overseas-purchased and internet-purchased tickets, etc.
SMS transmission for notification or reminders on flights, etc.
Delivery service for purchased products, etc
To process product order and arrange delivery service, etc
To process marketing email broadcast & Coremetrics tracking on cx.com
Where permitted by applicable local law or agreed by you, we may also disclose your Personal Data to third parties.
With prior notice, we may also transfer any information we have about you as an asset in connection with a merger or sale (including transfers made as part of insolvency or bankruptcy proceedings) involving all or part of Cathay Pacific/Cathay Dragon.
Please be advised that the Personal Data that Cathay Pacific and Cathay Dragon collects or obtains may be transferred to jurisdictions that offer lesser protection of Personal Data than that provided in your jurisdiction.
We will post on our website at 60yearsnato.info any changes to this policy with the effective data of the changed policy, so that you can be informed of the way we collect and use your Personal Data any time you so choose.
Occasionally, we may use your personal data (including your name and contact details) to send you marketing communications such as emails containing news, offers, promotions and joint marketing offers about our travel services and packages, loyalty programs, duty-free sales and other travel related auxiliary services such as travel insurance, hotel transfers and car rentals. However, we will first obtain your consent before doing so. Please see below on how to provide us with your consent.
We may also provide your personal data (including your name and contact details) to third parties including our marketing partners, travel service partners for the purpose of marketing their products and services to you, including travel services and packages, loyalty programs, duty-free sales and other travel related auxiliary services such as travel insurance, hotel transfers and car rentals. Again, we will only do this if you provide us with your consent.
You may indicate your consent to the above by the following ways:
- when providing us with your personal data through our website or a form, ticking boxes indicating your consent; or
- when providing us with your personal data through the telephone, tell our customer representative that you consent
You may opt-out from receiving marketing communications at any time, free of charge, by:
- following the opt-out instructions contained in the communications;
- writing to us at the address listed above, under Section 4 – “How to Access or Correct Your Personal Data”; or
- updating your email subscriptions at http://60yearsnato.info/cx/en_KR/latest-offers/subscribe-offers/newsletter-subscription.html Cathay Pacific Newsletter OR for Cathay Dragon Newsletter
All Personal Data that has been collected from you will only be stored for a limited duration that is relevant to the purpose for which it was processed and for as long as required by applicable law.
This notice is written in English language and may be translated into other languages. In the event of any inconsistency between the English version and the translated version of this notice, the English version shall prevail.
More about Legal and privacy
All downloadable files on this page are in PDF (Portable Document Format) and can be viewed with Adobe Acrobat Reader. You can download the Reader at no cost from .