Extra legroom seats
Fly in extra comfort in Economy Class
Enjoy more personal space when you fly. Stretch out in our extra legroom seats in Economy Class—available for an additional from HKD390 / USD50*^ on short haul flights, and from HKD1,170 / USD150*^ on long haul. You can also redeem a seat with your Asia Miles.
Silver members of the Marco Polo Club or above and oneworld® frequent fliers (Ruby, Sapphire and Emerald) can reserve their extra legroom seats free of charge.
Kindly note: Seats are subject to availability and offered on a first come, first served basis. Passengers must meet the exit row safety requirements stated on this page.
Reserving an extra legroom seat
- Choose an extra legroom seat when you book with us online.
- After booking a flight with us, you can log in to Manage Booking to reserve an extra legroom seat (available until 55 hours before flight departs).
- Alternatively, call our Global Contact Centre after your ticket is issued, at least 24 hours before you fly.
- You can also book at our in-town or airport check-in counters.
- Asia Miles members: Call the after your ticket is issued, at least 24 hours before you fly. Alternatively, redeem your seat at the Asia Miles Service Counter at the Hong Kong airport.
- Marco Polo Club members (Silver or above): Call the Marco Polo Club hotline after your ticket is issued, at least 24 hours before you fly; or redeem your seat at the Marco Polo Club Service Counter at the Hong Kong airport for free. Alternatively, you can book online to reserve an extra legroom seat for free. For Marco Polo Club Green members, see the below table for redemption using Asia Miles.
- oneworld® frequent fliers (Ruby, Sapphire and Emerald): Call our Global Contact Centre after your ticket is issued, at least 24 hours before you fly. You can also redeem your seat at our in-town or airport check-in counters for free.
Please note: Marco Polo Club (Green)/Asia Miles members must have sufficient Asia Miles at the time of redemption.
Extra legroom fees
Flights between Hong Kong and Southwest Pacific, North America, Europe, Africa, the Middle East or the Indian Subcontinent (Bangladesh, India, Maldives, Nepal, Pakistan and Sri Lanka).
USD 150/HKD 1,170*^
From 30,000 Asia Miles
|Short haul / regional
Other Cathay Pacific/Cathay Dragon operated flights not listed above, including flights between Hong Kong and Japan/Korea/China/Taiwan.
From USD 50/HKD 390*^
From 10,000 Asia Miles
*Charge is paid in HKD (first sector departing from Hong Kong) or equivalent in local currency (first sector departing from other destinations) by the exchange rate for USD at the point of sale, and is subject to currency fluctuation.
^ Please note that the extra-legroom charge may vary depending on the ticket type.
Extra legroom seats are located near the emergency exit doors*, and are subject to flight safety guidelines of the Civil Aviation Department of Hong Kong.
A passenger may be assigned an extra-legroom seat if he/she meets the following safety requirements, and will not obstruct emergency exits in a way of impeding the crew in their duties, obstructing access to emergency equipment, or hindering aircraft evacuation.
Passengers occupying an extra legroom seat must:
- Be at least 12 years of age at the commencement of the journey;
- Be able to understand and carry out safety instructions in English or Chinese;
- Be able to promptly reach, lift and throw open the exit door in an emergency;
- Not be a passenger travelling as an unaccompanied minor;
- Not be frail;
- Not be a passenger with any permanent or temporary disability. This includes a passenger travelling with a service dog, using portable oxygen, or requiring the use of medical equipment on board;
- Not be seated with an infant;
- Not be under the influence of intoxicating substances;
- Not be travelling with someone who needs their assistance in an emergency; or
- Not require the use of an extension seat belt.
If a passenger does not fulfill the above safety requirements, Cathay Pacific/Cathay Dragon may re-assign a regular Economy seat before or during the journey without a refund of the extra legroom reservation fee.
*Please note: Seat 40C of B77H, seat 40C and 40H of B77G are extra legroom seats that are not near emergency exit doors.
Please ensure you change your flight together with your reserved extra legroom seat. If you have reserved and paid for an extra legroom seat but you have changed the flight online with us, please call Global Contact Centres to arrange back your extra legroom seat.
Extra legroom seats are non-transferrable and non-refundable, with some exceptions.
Cathay Pacific/Cathay Dragon will issue a refund of extra legroom reservation fees if the seat is not utilised, under the following conditions:
- The flight is disrupted.
- The flight is cancelled by Cathay Pacific Airways or Cathay Dragon.
- The connecting flight is missed because of the re-timing of an inbound or outbound flight operated by Cathay Pacific or Cathay Dragon.
- An extra legroom seat is not available when you move to a different flight.
The refund will be from USD150 (long haul) or from USD50 (short haul), or the equivalent in your local currency. Refunds will be made in the original form of payment within 7 calendar days.
Please note: Customers who cancel their original booking without simultaneously rebooking another flight will not be entitled to a refund.
- Extra legroom seats are assigned to eligible persons on a first come, first served basis on flights operated by Cathay Pacific/Cathay Dragon.
- Extra legroom seat assignments are made separately and independently for each flight.
- Extra legroom seats are available at an additional fee.
- An extra legroom seat is assigned only upon full payment of the extra legroom fee and the ticket fare.
- No mileage points are rewarded for the amount paid for an extra legroom seat.
- If you have submitted an Upgrade Bid for a higher cabin class which is later successful, payment for an Extra Legroom Seat cannot be refunded.
- Passengers need to fulfil exit row safety requirements when occupying extra legroom seats. Exit row safety requirements are available on this page.
- Cathay Pacific/Cathay Dragon has the sole discretion, at check-in or boarding, to determine whether a passenger meets the requirements to sit on an extra legroom seat. If a passenger does not fulfill the necessary safety requirements, Cathay Pacific/Cathay Dragon may re-assign a regular Economy seat before or during the journey without refunding the extra legroom reservation fee.
- Extra-legroom Seats have certain characteristics, including the following specifications:
- There is significantly more legroom than other seats in the Economy cabin;
- The armrests between extra-legroom seats cannot be retracted because meal-trays are stowed in the arm-rest section;
- Extra legroom seats are located near the emergency exit doors*.
*Please note: Seat 40C of B77G and B77H, and seat 40H of B77H are extra legroom seats that are not near emergency exit doors.